Thursday, July 31, 2008

Trip to the doctor

Weston had a rash when he woke up this morning, and he has been grumpy and lethargic for a couple of days. He has had a little fever, a sore throat, no appetite and this morning he said the light hurt his eyes. So when we saw the rash we decided to go to the doctor. We have a new pediatrician here- the doctors are mostly here on one year assignments so they come and go pretty quickly. We saw the previous one only once, for Shane's one year appointment. We haven't had to use military doctors before and I haven't been expecting much, but the new doctor is really, really great. She explained directly to Weston what she was doing, and asked his permission to listen to his heart, and let him 'help' her by opening the tongue depressor package.

Before she did her examinations, checking his eyes or ears or throat with the little tools, she asked if he ever had anyone do that before and he kept saying no. Then she asked how long it had been since he had been sick. I didn't know what she was getting at so I asked if she meant really sick, because I can't remember him being sick beyond the usual crud for years. She said she meant the last time he had been on antibiotics. When I told her he had never had any antibiotics, she actually asked me if we took him to his yearly appointments.

They did a throat culture for strep and we haven't gotten a call on that, so I assume it's negative. The doctor said he had a virus and to bring him back if his eyes keep bothering him. He can go to school tomorrow if he feels like it. Shane doesn't seem to have gotten it, but he's been grumpy for a week or more with some big teeth coming in, so who can tell? Not me, but oh yeah, I'm a Bad Mommy!

No comments: