Thursday, June 19, 2008

Into the wild blue yonder, yuk yuk

Today I attended a function where we sang patriotic songs. It was very fun and I found out someone else still remembers how to play 'This Land is Your Land' on the recorder. In case you're wondering, it's G,A,B,C,C,C,C,C,B,B,B,A,G,G,..... I managed to keep my inner second grader at bay and refrain from singing 'This land is my land, this land's not your land' so it was all good. At the very end, we sang the songs of all the services: 'Anchors Aweigh', 'The Marine Corps Hymn' (I had a hard time with this one, because I kept thinking of the Meacham kids' version in 'The Great Santini'), 'The Army Goes Rolling Along', and the rousing finale was 'The Air Force Song'. Now, I've heard the song before, of course, but I guess I had never actually listened to the words closely or looked at the lyrics. So take a look at the words below. Is it just me, or is this not a hilarious song?!?!?


Off we go into the wild blue yonder,
Climbing high into the sun;
Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,
At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun hey!)
Down we dive, spouting our flame from under,
Off with one hell of a roar!
We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey!
Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!

1 comment:

Swistle said...

I was just the other day thinking about the amusing elementary-school lyrics to "This Land is Your Land"! I stopped myself JUST IN TIME from singing them to my first- and third-graders.