Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I have just the right number of eybrow hairs

I was laying on the couch this morning when Weston came over and looked down on my face. He started petting my eyebrows with a little puzzled frown, then he said, "You have too many hairs in your eyebrows." He started pulling on them, and when he was done said, "There, now you have just the right number of hairs." But, I'm pretty sure he didn't remove any. And, I have no idea where he got the idea that there was such a thing as the right number of hairs. He has these very definite ideas about other things, too, like pets. I was talking about our new fish and I called them 'pets'. He started laughing uproariously as if that was the most ridiculous thing he'd ever hear (heck, perhaps it was!) and said that fish aren't pets. Rabbits are pets, cats are pets, dogs are pets, and turtles are pets. Birds, fish, lizards and snakes are not pets. I asked how he could tell what's a pet and what's not and he said that pets are soft. I pointed out that turtles are not soft but that did not have the persuasive effect I had intended.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Obviously Weston is compartmentalizing critters into consumer appropriate and unsuitable categories so he can be a more discerning, savvy and guilt-free hunter/fisher. Substitute "kill" and "not kill" for "pet" and "not pet" and you'll get it. He's way ahead in this game. Most of us have had to murder something warm and fuzzy - and feel real bad about it - to help us sort it all out. Clever Boy!