Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Report from the Thrift Store


Today was terrific Tuesday at the Thrift Store- check out my goodies: a nice striped shirt for Shane, a pair of brown leather boots for me, and two baby slings! I also got a hot air popcorn popper.

I love the boots; they are beautiful and fit with thin socks. BUT they are just on the edge of a teeny bit too snug, so if you are named Jennifer and have feet a half size smaller than mine, it might possibly be your lucky day soon.

The slings are both gorgeous and came out of the same bag. I pick them up when I see them for new moms in our Breastfeeding Support Group. The one on the left has a tie-dyed butterfly pattern and I might have to keep it for myself even though I rarely use a sling anymore.

And the air popper! I have been wanting one every since Lloyd gave away our microwave. And this one is a beaut; the butter cup wasn't even gummed up.

But don't think all this good stuff just jumped into my bag. I had to work for it. When I got there, there was a huge pile of donations to go through. You couldn't even walk down the hallway, and another volunteer, Debbie, was completely surrounded by boxes and bags. I'm not sure how long she'd been there but there was a pile of blankets and a beer can pyramid in the corner. Always wanting to be of service, I jumped right in. Remember how Scrooge McDuck would dive into his money bin? I'm pretty sure some of the stuff we get at the thrift store isn't any nastier than some dirty old gold coins, and they're a lot less painful. But maybe we need a vat of disinfectant. Or a Cipro shower. In any event, I emerged disease free and triumphant. I keep wanting to hum a superhero theme song, but it seems a little over the top.



1 comment:

Brad, Brooke, Abigayle, Rebekah and Indy said...

Nice. It figures...I take a week off & there's all sorts of goodies!