Friday, September 12, 2008

Happy September 12th!





In honor of Chusok, the upcoming Korean Thanksgiving-type holiday, I am posting some photos from our local downtown area, right outside the Main Gate. I always love to read the signs- what makes me laugh the most is not so much the fractured English, but the bluntness and complete lack of subtlety. The 'Love Shop' sign, for example.

There is a clothing store off one of the alley that sells women's clothes in larger sizes. This should be a really great selling point, because most of the shops sell clothes sized for Korean women, and they are MUCH smaller. You would think the shop would attract a lot of American customers, but their sign says 'We Sell Big Lady Clothes Here' in giant letters. Would you go in there? Nope, me neither.

The last picture is one of the many bag shops here. We will be staying home for Chusok, as they say the traffic jams can be terrible because everyone travels over the holiday to give thanks, celebrate the harvest and honor their ancestors. That's all fine and good, but as for me, I am thankful for a long weekend, funny signs, and knock-off bags!

No comments: