Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Give me your peels, your eggshells, your coffee grounds

I am really excited about a new project I'm working on- the Osan Children's Community Garden. The Osan Parent Network was one of the recipients of the 2008 Newman's Own Award and one of the things we are doing with the award is building a children's community garden. There is a perfect spot for it behind the hospital and we are working on planning our layout and projects. We are lucky to have quite a few gardeners here interested in it, and they have great ideas for gardening projects for the kids: a pizza garden, flower pressing, butterfly gardening, and lots more.

One of the first things we need to do is a get a composter going, because we are going to need a lot of good dirt as quickly as possible. It will have to be the enclosed drum-type because we can't have any smells or rats. Besides the ones that are already here, I mean. I haven't seen anything local, so we will probably have to figure out a way to get one shipped from the states, though I am going to investigate further. I'm sure it will be a bit of a challenge, so I need some help from y'all: Does anyone have suggestions for brands or types of composters and/or have a contact in the composting industry?

Also, I will cheerfully accept donations of kids' gardening supplies (gloves, books, tools). If you have things laying around you no longer use, please send them my way! In fact, I'll give an authentic Korean prize for every donation.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I really want a NatureMill composter for myself. It looks so cool. The shipping, though, . . . what about that www.apobox.com that someone posted about on the OPN?