Thursday, November 6, 2008

I LOVE Lucy

Today, my sister and I went to the Pacific Science Center to see the Lucy exhibit. They have the actual Lucy, and it's the first time she's been out of Ethiopia. In the last 3.18 million years, anyway. She might have been quite the jet-setter during her lifetime, for all I know.

The exhibit was awesome. It was amazing to me to see the real fossils, because I have been fascinated by Lucy for years, ever since I read this book. The exhibit has some other stuff too; Ethiopian art, baskets and jewelry and all kinds of other junk, which we sped past as fast as our three-child, two-stroller, two-sling entourage would take us. I could have looked at Lucy all day, but alas, Shane has the attention span of a fruit fly and the shriek of a pterodactyl, a deadly combination in the hush of Lucy's chamber.

I've been trying to think of other things of historical or other significance that have impressed me. Lucy is definitely tops, but here are a few more:

The sit-in lunch counter from Greensboro, at the Smithsonian;


The moon rock
you can touch at the National Air and Space Museum;

The pile of shoes from the Holocaust Museum; and

The battlefields at the Little Bighorn and Vicksburg.

1 comment:

Helen said...

I love Lucy, too. So interesting. Here's a question....what would happen to our social consciousness if we were wrong about Carbon dating?